Generally speaking, a construction journal is a compilation of general and specialized construction knowledge. It is commonly published either online, in print, or both. It is a collaboration between contractors, designers, suppliers, consultants, and clients with the aim of educating all sectors about construction processes and ideas as told from the point of view of both the academia and those directly involved in the construction industry.
Usually, majority, if not all content is blind reviewed by competent individuals who are knowledgeable or experts in the content’s specific subject. For a submission to be published in a construction journal, it should be easily read and backed by experience, research, and application whenever applicable. A construction journal commonly includes the following content.
- Complete Papers – these are manuscripts that contain valuable knowledge regarding the basics, as well as tried and tested construction principles.
- Essays – motivating and interesting opinion essays that are based on personal experience, practices, and implementations concerning various construction tools and concepts. As these are opinion essays, they can also be based on the author’s speculations and conjectures.
- Technical Notes – these are documents that details alternative or innovative practical developments, construction models, structured implementation investigations, and research results.
- Case Studies – detailed study descriptions regarding the practical application of construction methods and the end results. It does not matter if the application is a failure or a success, what’s more important is that authors should include what they learned from the study. Sources should also be properly credited.
- Discussions – this is usually available through an online forum where authors and readers can discuss, clarify, stipulate, comment, ask, or argue about all published content in the construction journal.
- Reviews and Theme papers – some journals also accept submissions concerning reviews about books, publications, tools, and equipment among many others, considering that it is related to construction. Theme papers about specific issues are also sometimes accepted.
Authors interested in contributing to the journal are advised to make certain that their submissions will be beneficial in maximizing the whole systems construction view and not just focus on the different parts, especially when making recommendations. In this context, a construction journal should be a user-friendly guide for acquiring essential construction information that can greatly aid in improving competitiveness, productivity, and efficiency in a host of construction processes.